Running down Drift Road is a journey into another era. Horse pastures, apple orchards and granite walls break up the woodlands and marsh.
Mary Hicks was a single mom with 11 children when she bought the land by today's bridge in 1710. She obtained the town's first liquor license, and built a tavern and home on the West side of the river. A ferry ran here, until her son built a toll bridge in 1738, charging travelers a steep price to cross the river. In the early 19th century a shipyard was located here that built many of the whalers of Nantucket in the golden age of the whaling industry.