Monday, May 5, 2014

Streetcred 2014

I'll spare you all the usual excuses for not posting regularly. Suffice it to say that I'm back, at least for now.

The Mt. Magazine Trail Run is on the 17th and I'm going to give it a go. 18 miles down, up and on the top of the tallest mountain in Arkansas. I needed a lot of miles for the peak weekend in my training, so after 6 miles at Turkey, I headed out again with the family to check out Tulsa Street Cred.


Streetcred is an Open Streets event, modeled after the international Open Streets Project, which seeks to close streets temporarily so people can use them for walking, bicycling, dancing, playing and socializing. Put on by the Tulsa Young Professionals annually, Streetcred challenges us to imagine urban planning for a world less auto-centric.


It was awesome. Imagine an entire mile of a normally busy city avenue in the South downtown area, either entirely closed to pedestrians, or partially closed for generously wide bike lanes. Food trucks, artists, vendors, activities for kids, a mobile library and even a luchador ring scattered along the route. It was funny to observe how many pedestrians stuck to the sidewalks, even with four lanes of open road available to them.

9 miles round trip. It makes a huge difference to have a purpose or destination to my training runs.


Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment